Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Diet Based on Blood Type?

It's been brought to my attention that a diet based on blood type is becoming a popular trend. Reading about health is a new obsession of mine, and the thought that blood type affects one's health seemed logical -- even believable.
Intrigued, I looked it up.

These articles pretty much sum up the diet:


The claims seemed fairly plausible, so I decided to take a look at food charts like this one, to see which foods have been labelled as 'helpful' or 'harmful' for different blood types.  I'm an O+.

However...
My research on the topic hasn't dug up any extensive scientific studies to validate these tables.  As far as I'm concerned, this is a glaring turn-off. I've actually been skeptical about this diet ever since I read that cinnamon is harmful for type O. Cinnamon has a lot of healing properties and has been used in Chinese medicine, Ayurveda, home remedies, and other areas of alternative medicine for a long time.  Considering that type O is the most common blood type, wouldn't the use of cinnamon have been observed to be adverse, or at the very least ineffective? It wouldn't be such a common healer. That in itself sets off the alarm bells in my head.  While I do feel that blood type logically makes at least a bit of difference to one's diet (and I've already implemented a couple of minor cautions), I feel more thorough research absolutely needs to be done.

For those of you who want to follow this diet, I suggest you make sure you're not leaving out essential nutrients (eg: calcium in dairy) in your eating regime. And take what you read with a pinch of salt.

4 comments: