Friday, March 22, 2013

FF - 5 Awesome Free e-Learning Websites

One of the best things about the internet is how easy it is to learn just about *anything* you're interested in!   Sometimes I wish I didn't have to sleep, just because there's just so friggin' much to learn out there.



I'm currently taking Songwriting by the Berklee College of Music on Coursera.  This is the first class I've signed up for that isn't directly related to my research, so it's a nice daily 20-minute break from my regular physics and machine learning schedule.  I enjoy writing lyrics, but have never formally learned about it.  This is also the first class I plan on completing religiously, quizzes and projects and all, rather than simply perusing the resources and videos.

5 awesome places on the Web to learn for free:
1. Coursera - an excellent collection of college courses
2. edX - another collection of college courses. I haven't checked this out yet, but I've heard from people that it's really good.
3. MIT OCW - Open courseware provided by MIT
4. Khan Academy - School-level content on a large variety of subjects
5. VidyaPrasar  - Open courseware offered by my home institute: Dayalbagh Educational Institute.  It's only got a handful of courses on physics and computer science right now, but it's definitely worth checking out if you're interesting in topics like Neural Networks.

Do you know of any more sites offering courses on different subjects? Where do you go to learn on the Web?

5 comments:

  1. http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/

    In which are u doing the research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about VidyaPrasar. Dont know when it was started :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The MHRD project at the Multimedia Lab has been working on VidyaPrasar for a few years now, if I remember correctly.

    My research is at IITD and DEI, in quantum physics/computing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Udacity by Sebastian Thrun is also decent. Also no idea about Vidya Prasar. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I hadn't heard about Udacity. Thanks for sharing!

      Here's the link for anyone interested: https://www.udacity.com/

      Delete