"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams
Considering the hype behind December 21, 2012, I figured I'd look up interesting prophecies about the end of the world, just for fun. My favourites:
1. An asteroid, according to Zoroastrianism -- The asteroid, called Gochihr, will melt all metals and minerals when it strikes the Earth. The resulting metal flood will flow over the surface and purge wrongdoers of their sins. The righteous will not have to suffer; they will feel as if they're moving through warm milk.
2. A flood, according to ancient Vedic predictions -- Dark clouds will cover the sky, and the ensuing downpour will flood the Earth for seven years. Humanity will be destroyed. The few who survive will be the progenitors for the next age. (The age we're currently said to be living in -- Kali Yuga -- is predicted to last over 400,000 years. And it apparently began in 3102 BC.)
3. Total collapse and chaos, yet an opportunity to return to old wisdom during the new age, according to the Mayans -- What we're experiencing now is described to be total chaos due to disharmony of the spirit. What will happen after December 21 is not, contrary to popular belief, the end of the world, but the end of the age we're in, and it will come to an end through calamity. The new age will apparently bring the return of spirituality and wisdom. A fresh start, after catastrophe.
4. Appearance of seven suns, according to the Buddha -- Each subsequent sun will bring new calamity in its wake: drying up vegetation, evaporating rivers and lakes and oceans, baking the earth, etc. The planet will then be swallowed by an inferno.
5. And last but not least: Running out of coffee, according to me -- yeah, coffee makes the world go round. If we run out, we're doomed. ^_^