Sunday, March 27, 2011

SS - Are these the world's ugliest animals?

A few days ago I was linked to a gallery on NY Daily News called "The World's Ugliest Animals".  Some of the animals were atrocious, even scary-looking, but a few of them I actually found cute, like the snub-nosed monkey and the baby aardvark.

The one that made me choke on my morning cup of green tea was the naked mole rat:


This little fella looks hilarious!  The blobfish made me cringe and giggle as well.  Here is the rest of the gallery.

Which ones do you think don't deserve to be on the list?  And which ones made you wonder if they were created by a, perhaps, drunk Mother Nature?  

1 comment:

  1. It's Funny you say that because what is pretty for us might not be pretty for the animal.
    For example, there is a scene in the movie, The Planet of the Apes where this ape woman likes the hero (human) but also claims that she cannot like him because he is so ugly. Imagine an ape calling a human ugly... but like I said, it's a matter of reference.
    Secondly, I am more concerned as how animals recognize and differentiate specimens within their species - all horses, lions, tigers, donkeys, cows, monkeys look the same to me as long as they are the same species.
    The point to find out is that is there a gene code which help the brain understand these things within your species.

    Just some randon points to ponder! Nice post though.

    -Prateet Sinha

    ReplyDelete