Friday, March 18, 2011

FF - EarthSky and the Supermoon

You've probably heard that tomorrow night we will witness a 'supermoon'. That's a fancy name for 'the closest full moon of this year'.  It'll be big and beautiful and absolutely amazing, and we'll even get to see Saturn with the naked eye!  Curious about the supermoon, what it really is, and what its consequences will be, I surfed around and came across an awesome site: EarthSky.org

Eris. Click for source

An excellent explanation of the supermoon can be found here. Also, if you're wondering whether the rumour about said supermoon causing the earthquakes/tsunamis in Japan is true, then take a look at this article

I have fallen in love with this site.  Though they do have articles on biodiversity (can sharks smile?), health (fungus and scorpions to cure malaria??), and other science subjects, what I like best about the site is the 'space' category. They even tell you how to recognize constellations and what to expect when you look up at the stars every single night

That's actually something I'd really like to learn.  I want to be able to say "Haha! Jupiter looks like it's riding Pegasus!" rather than "If you squint really, really hard, that glob of stars looks a bit like an inkblot!"

EarthSky really is a brilliant science site, full of awesome photos and videos, scientist biographies, and lucid explanations, so you should definitely check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's a great site, Radha, thank you for sharing :D And I never even heard of a supermoon before, lol. Sounds very Dragonball Z. I'll stand on my balcony tomorrow night to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you liked the site too! :D I'm gonna 'moon-gaze' tomorrow as well.

    ReplyDelete