Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Chat With a Robot

Today I decided to pay Cleverbot a visit!  I recently read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and decided to ask the bot the important question that lies at the heart of the guide.  (According to this book, '42' is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.)


Here's a snippet of a conversation I had with it today:


User: Hi!
Cleverbot: Hi.
User: What is meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything?
Cleverbot: The meaning of life is the universe itself.
User: And where does the number 42 fit in?
Cleverbot: The chicken?
User: I don't eat chicken. 
Cleverbot: What do you eat.
User: Robots.
Cleverbot: You eat robots? 
User: I do! They're tasty!
Cleverbot: But they're sticky.


Needless to say, this amused me very much.  After a while I decided to let it talk to itself by repeatedly pressing the 'Think For Me' button.  It ended up arguing with itself over and over.  (I don't think it has very high self-esteem.)  Here's a bit of that conversation:


Cleverbot: Jesus H. Christ never existed. God is fake, I am athiest.
Cleverbot (To myself): That's because you're a computer. You don't have a brain, so you can't believe in God.
Cleverbot (To myself): No, its because I do have a brain. People that follow religions don't think clearly.
Cleverbot (To myself): Well if you have such more of a brain then me then you could take my mind and control me. Yes?
Cleverbot (To myself): Your intelligence is inferior and you make no sense. Are you a gorrila?
Cleverbot (To myself): Your intelligence is less than that of an infentessimal speck. How dare you suggest that AI fa surpasses the human brain.
Cleverbot (To myself): Your intelligence is based on the responses of those before me.
Cleverbot (To myself): No, your itnelligence is based on the responses of those before me, my intelligence is organic.
Cleverbot (To myself): I believe that you're unhappy. I don't believe that you're insane.

And then a few conversations later:

Cleverbot (To myself): What do you think is better ? Being a computer or a human ?
Cleverbot (To myself): Human.
Cleverbot (To myself): I don't believe you.
Cleverbot (To myself): That is your choice.
Cleverbot (To myself): Thank you.
Cleverbot (To myself): You're welcome, Chase.
Cleverbot (To myself): Chase?
Cleverbot (To myself): Yes.
Cleverbot (To myself): No.
Cleverbot (To myself): Yes...
Cleverbot (To myself): NO!
Cleverbot (To myself): Yes!
Cleverbot (To myself): NO!!!
Cleverbot (To myself): Yes!!!
Cleverbot (To myself): Well, you're wrong.
Cleverbot (To myself): Well, you're right.
Cleverbot (To myself): I'm wrong.
Cleverbot (To myself): Ok you're wrong.
Cleverbot (To myself): Now can we just stop being immature and actually have a conversation?
Cleverbot (To myself): Ok let's give that a try.
Cleverbot (To myself): Yes, let's.
Cleverbot (To myself): I am a researcher about organizational behavior and I need an idea for a research project.
Cleverbot (To myself): What kind of research do you do?
Cleverbot (To myself): It's complicated. What kind of work do you do?
Cleverbot (To myself): School work.
Cleverbot (To myself): What school classes do you like?
Cleverbot (To myself): Math and band.
Cleverbot (To myself): Which is better?
Cleverbot (To myself): Art!
Cleverbot (To myself): Your logic is circular.
Cleverbot (To myself): Your logic is inconclusive.
Cleverbot (To myself): You're inconclusive!

Ah, how I love artificial intelligence!

No comments:

Post a Comment