Sunday, October 17, 2010

Of muffins and cake and melted plastic

A little over a week ago, I tried to bake a, um...well, something between a muffin and cake.  A muffake, if you will.  Or a caffin.  I say this, because I was actually following about three different recipes for muffins, and had no muffin pan to bake them in.  Yea, I probably should have thought it through, before starting off.

Anyhow, for someone who tries to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible, this was quite a big deal!  I was inspired by a friend of mine who gave me a very delicious-looking banana-carrot-whole wheat muffin recipe (which I'll add at the end of this post). I just *had* to try it out!  There were two drawbacks to the recipe, though.  First off, I didn't have any carrots.  Secondly, it called for eggs, and I'm a vegetarian.




So, I turned to my ever helpful and loyal friend, Google, and came across an awesome site totally dedicated to eggless cooking: http://www.egglesscooking.com/ !  There were plenty of egg substitutes listed, out of which I only had bananas and yogurt.  I  referred to these two recipes:


The final product was a very dense (it hadn't risen at all), banana-nut-vanilla muffake.  Which, by the way, tasted delicious:



However, I *did* encounter a bit of trouble on the way!  Before you think I'm a complete idiot, let me tell you that I KNOW plastic and microwaves don't mix.  However,  our convection microwave came with a plastic box that was microwavable, and my husband somehow managed to use it to bake me a cake in August.  I figured that I could do it too!  Little did I know that he hadn't used the *baking* settings, he just used the normal microwave settings. (I still haven't figured out how he did it.)  

The result was this carcinogenic masterpiece:


At least I got something edible on my second try!
-----------------------------------------------------------

The recipe that inspired me to try my hand at baking:

For about 30 mini-muffins
1 carrot, peeled and grated




1 banana, mashed
a dash of lemon or lime juice
2 eggs
100 ml sugar 
250 ml whole wheat flour 
1.5 tsp baking powder
ground cinnamon
a pinch of ground (real) vanilla (or vanilla extract according to the taste)
75 ml milk
75 ml canola oil (or substitute with melted butter)

Heat oven to 200C/390F. Prepare a baking sheet with your muffin forms or a muffin pan.

Peel and grate the carrot, mash the banana and mix with the grated carrot. Add a dash of lemon juice to keep the banana from turning brown.

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.

In another bowl, mix eggs with sugar until foamy. Add a quarter of the flour mixture and half of the milk and mix carefully until smooth. Add another quarter of the flour mixture and rest of the milk. Repeat with half of oil + half of the remaining flour, until mixture is smooth. Fold in the banana-carrot mixture. Scoop a tablespoon of batter to each form, or until the forms are filled up to 3/4 of the height. Bake about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Cool, and frost with your favorite frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment