Friday, March 5, 2010

Battlestar Galactica



This is my new obsession. Yes, I know I’m a bit late as the TV series got over in 2009, but hey, this means I don’t need to wait for any of the episodes to come out, right? My poor husband has learned the hard way to not talk to me when he sees headphones in my ears and spacecrafts shooting each other down on my laptop monitor. :p He doesn't watch it because he says he doesn't have time for a new obsession...which, of course, leaves me to watch it whenever I want rather than having to wait for him to watch with me, the way I do for The Big Bang Theory! Mwahaha! ;)
I’ve been watching the Reimagined series - the remake of the Battlestar Galactica that started in 1978. It’s brilliant! I’m halfway through Season 2.
Though its genre is science-fiction, it has elements of mythology as well because of the “religion” that the people in the series follow. The plot is an almost cliché one, what with robotic entities called Cylons that were created by man, turning against their makers. However, there is much more to the series than this simple plot. The plot details play on the weaknesses of humans: jealousy, greed, unhealthy rivalry, and the ability to hate. The evolved Cylons, in human form, are programmed to rise above these human weaknesses.
A little less than 50,000 people have been driven from their homes in the “12 Colonies”, and are searching for a lost 13th colony called Earth. Despite the human race being on the verge of extinction, mutinies, assassination plots, rivalries, and coups develop across the fleet, highlighting just how flawed human beings really are. It really hits home.

No comments:

Post a Comment